Saturday, January 8, 2011

So It Begins

Alright.  So here I am in Blogland.  After reading enough of these I decided it is time I get my own.  So far I'd say it's going pretty well.  I've picked out a color pattern, a template, and even thought of a few topics to write about.  I was prepared for the initial awkwardness of writing about my own thoughts and experiences.  What I was unprepared for was the existential crisis I went through while trying to pick out a name for my blog.  Really, that was the last thing I planned on. 

It began with simple enough questions such as, "What colors should I use?" "What should I write about?" and "What do I want this blog to say about me as a person?" These innocent questions quickly escalated to a philosophical apex as soon as I realized I needed to title my venture into the world of blogging.  And this title would stick.  ::::Foreeeever::::   Needless to say I was thrown into a downward spiral of melodramatic contemplation such as, "What does it all mean?" "Am I a good person??" and "Does God really exist???"  (Answers: still working on it, pretty good, and yes-have you tried cheese?)

To assure you that I am serious, I will tell you I created this blog about two months ago and have not touched it since because I have been pretty pissed off over the whole I-can't-come-up-with-a-title-therefore-I-don't-deserve-to-blog-or-possibly-even-live thing.  After thinking and deciding against far too many ideas, I finally settled on this one.  Let me reassure you: I am well aware I spelled the word 'basically' wrong.  The English major in me had an internal panic attack when I hit save, but the blogger in me is sticking to it.  Existential crisis for now: SOLVED.

The Back Story:  Last year, my mother was fortunate (or unfortunate?) enough to stumble upon one of my many childhood journals.  I use the term 'journal' loosely.  What this actually was, was a daily account of my mundane activities as a 12 year old.  I mean ridiculously mundane.  I went to the mall a lot, I swam a lot with my dog, and I won everything- every game I ever played, no matter how insignificant, is documented in this journal.  It was clearly imperative that I let my older self know that I won all of these things as a child.  I began and ended each entry with something to the effect of, "Today was a really good day......more stuff......and tomorrow will be an even better day!"  Apparently, the childhood version of me was an eternal optimist.

Since I am the person who wrote these things down (as if someone would actually want to read them at some point) it was mildly amusing to go back and read them as an adult.  What I didn't count on was friends and family finding my entries hilarious.  This might have something to do with what a precocious and pretentious child I was. I tended to use words and phrases that were very atypical of a girl my age, such as, "today was a very toilsome day."  Toilsome?  Really?  The only thing I can think of that might explain this, is that in sixth grade I was a witch in our school's production of Macbeth and chanted "double, double, toil and trouble."  That's all I got.  As a 26 year old, I still don't think I've ever used that word other than in that journal. 

Anyway, I will not bore you with further details (possibly more on the journal later) except to say that I consistently spelled the word 'basically' wrong throughout the entire thing by throwing an extra 'i' into the mix.  I should add that I used this word - a lot.  And that it has since become an inside joke among those who have read my journal.

Which pretty much sums it up.  And brings us up to date.  I am finally starting a blog.  As a writer and literature enthusiast I cannot believe it has taken me this long.  But I am pumped.  And you should be too.  Ok maybe not pumped, but I hope you are a step above bored.  And if you aren't, I don't want to hear about it.  Because this is my blog.  And I will win everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment