Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why Spongebob Squarepants Can Unintentionally Take Up My Whole Day

It's true.  That square-pantsed little sponge can make me disregard any number of important things I need to do.  Right now I am supposed to be getting ready for work.  But Spongebob is busy pestering Squidward and I have to see how it ends.

The show comes neatly packaged in convenient 10 to 15 minute episodes.  A perfect dose of commitment free, lighthearted humor.  So when I begin to watch, I tell myself something like, "Well I'll just watch one and then I will feed my cats."  What's 10 minutes of innocent, childlike joy???  2 hours later I have accomplished nothing except fueling my cats' spiteful secret plan to attack me in my sleep.  Because what I am 'subconsciously' ignoring is the fact that I know that at all times on Nickelodeon there is a Spongebob Squarepants marathon, which is apparently going to continue for all eternity.  And obviously, I need to watch them all.

It never ends.  It's on when I wake up.  It's on while I'm trying to leave for work.  It's on when I get home.  It's on when I wake up at 3 in the morning because I can't sleep- and my cats are pissed I forgot to feed them because I was busy watching it earlier that morning.

There is a possibility that it is not running while I'm at work, but I haven't tested that theory- because of that whole 'I'm at work' thing.  This would mean that Spongebob Squarepants is pretty much a conspiracy that is designed to render me completely unproductive for an undisclosed period of time.  I'm almost positive that's what's going on.

I consider myself a fairly intelligent and sensible woman with a healthy sense of humor.  That being said, I wonder if I am the only one who falls victim to this damn sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment